JCS Industries Chlorine Gas Products feature significantly enhanced safety for the use of chlorine gas for disinfection, while providing dramatically reduced chemical and energy costs. In particular, special automatic valve shutoff actuators shut down the gas system upon leak detection, a key feature that allows for use of chlorine gas as the most cost-effective method for disinfection. In recent changeover from other technology, a customer has saved $13,000 per MGD per year in chemical savings alone.
In typical systems, Chlorine gas is injected into a water supply line that creates a Venturri (suction). System controls allow for chlorine dosing as required. The system incorporated safety features for protection of personnel and equipment in the event of a chlorine leak. Chlorine gas cylinders (150 lb cylinder or 1 ton portable tanks) are set up on scales, with a vacuum regulator on each cylinder or tank. The vacuum injector closes when cylinders are empty, and automatically switches flow over to the other two cylinders with an automatic switchover unit between two units. Upon chlorine leak detection, automatic valve actuators shut down all cylinders or tanks, a siren is activated and n exhaust fan, and activate a siren and beacon. The atmosphere in the equipment room is continuously monitored. Large systems have cylinders or portable tanks manifolded together to help minimize project cost by avoiding the need for a regulator on each cylinder. The setup can be expanded to multiple cylinders on each side. The banks of cylinders can be setup on pressure headers, so that chlorine is withdrawn equally from either side. At the end of each header is an automatic switchover vacuum regulator, with dedicated drip leg and heater. One cylinder on each bank can be independently measured on the scale, which displays the total sum of each bank of cylinders. For single source responsibility, the same manufacturer supplies the leak detection system, the emergency shutoff actuators, the scales, the chlorinators, the vacuum regulators, and the vacuum injector, all of which are USA-made.
- Model 420 Cylinder or 420T Ton Mounted Regulator with V-Notch regulator
- Model 4200 Vacuum Feeder – Automatic Gas Feeder (Flow Proportional, Residual Control or Compound Loop)
- Model 4400 Residual Chlorine Analyzer – Buffer Free operation; amperometric probe that accurately measures both free and total chlorine
- Model 4500 Gas Leak Detector/Monitor
- Model 4600 Ultrasonic Level / Flow Monito
- Model 4700 Electronic Cylinder Scale
- Model 4710 Electronic Ton Cylinder Scale
- ROBO-Control Model RC or RCTVR is an actuator that REMOTELY CLOSES the valve on compressed gas cylinders
- ROBO- Control Model 2000C is an actuator system that can REMOTELY OPEN & CLOSE the valves on one ton containers
- Robo-Control MODEL RPB001 Remote Close Push Button
“We noticed that various components manufactured by JCS Industries were built with thicker material, giving us confidence they were less prone to warping and failure than alternatives. The injector in particular seemed stouter and more substantial in comparison. When that component fails, you get leaks…As part of our own research on the equipment we were very pleased to see that they not only manufactured their equipment, but offered repair service for it, as opposed to other companies, who sent out for that. We concluded they had more control of their products, from manufacturing through use and service, and we now have more consistent and controllable chlorine application for disinfection. We also noticed that the only previous manufacturer for the automatic shutoff valve actuators required them to be sent out every year for torque recalibration, while this one didn’t require that. So we could get the same reliability on a more cost-effective basis.”
Project Profile: Hutchinson, KS
- 10 MGD Water Treatment Plant
- 8 Chlorine gas feeders ranging from 5 to 250 ppd.
- Ultimate capacity of 10.0 ppd chlorine per feeder.
- Redundant flow proportional and compound loop control.